Saturday, September 14, 2013

OK here is the secret project I've been working on for the last few weeks since I got my new studio set up here on Cape Cod. As I was unpacking my supplies I ran across these unpainted little wooden bird houses I had purchase for $1.00 two years ago. I got this idea to make a new neighborhood. I asked myself what color would people paint their house if they could use their favorite colors and neighborhood associations rules didn't apply .So I set out to "build" a house for myself and friends I had left behind. I ran out of houses before I ran out of people I wanted in my new neighborhood.

I used polymer clay to create the tiles for the roof. The tiles had to remind me of the friend. I used Sculpey and Fimo clay - which I also had on hand. I couldn't go to an art store because I didn't (at the time)  know how to find one yet. In case you"ve never heard of polymer clay it is a very cool clay that comes in tones of colors, mixes to make any color you can dream of, and creates a kaleidoscope of designs. The clay bakes in a regular oven or a toaster oven to cure. Think
Venetian glass  and you're getting close..

 These are some of the reference books I got at Amazon. Look up polymer clay and you'll find lots of examples. I still want to make the people to live in the houses... so stay tuned.
My new neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment